New Developments in Business Cycle Analysis
Rome, Wednesday June 8th 2016
Call for Papers
Norges Bank, HEC Montreal and LUISS-Guido Carli are organizing a joint conference to bring together researchers working on empirical and theoretical aspects of business cycle analysis. The aim of the workshop is to discuss new approaches in modeling business cycles; novel empirical evidence on the behaviour of households, firms and governments during expansion, recession, crisis and recovery periods; and the new policy paradigms that have emerged after the global slump started in 2007. Relevant topics include, but are not limited to:
- economic recovery following boom-bust episodes and cross-country spillovers
- the impact on business cycles and economic policy of search frictions in the labor market, worker-employer matching and the labor force participation decision
- the role of uncertainty in the business cycle
- implications of heterogeneity in households and firms in responding to macroeconomic shocks
- the macroeconomic impact and policy implications of fluctuations in commodity prices
- the analysis of sectorial, regional and international labor and capital reallocation
- the role of financial intermediation and financial channels in mitigating regional/sectorial imbalances
- the implications of non-standard monetary policy measures for central bank balance sheet structures and monetary policy implementation
- Interactions between asset price fluctuations and real economic activity
Sydney Ludvigson (New York University) and Frank Smets (European Central Bank) will be the keynote speakers for the event.
A discussant will be assigned to each presenter. Travel and accommodation expenses will be reimbursed for academic participants, subject to a cap. Papers (or extended abstracts) for submission should be sent to NBHECworkshop@norges-bank.no by March 28, 2016. Authors of accepted papers will be notified by April 4, 2016.
The program for the previous two editions of the conference, sponsored by HEC Montreal, Norges Bank and participating institutions, is at http://www.hec.ca/en/iea/chairs_centres_groups/macromontreal/conferences/index.html.
On June 7 LUISS-Guido Carli will host the « Research Meeting on Dynamic Macroeconomics », organized jointly with the conference. Conference participants are welcome to attend.
- Pierpaolo Benigno (LUISS – Guido Carli)
- Francesco Furlanetto (Norges Bank)
- Federico Ravenna (HEC Montreal)