Norges Bank issues two types of commemorative coins to mark events of cultural, historical or national importance.
- Jubilee and commemorative coins pursuant to Section 16 of the Norges Bank Act. These are gold and/or silver coins and are not regarded as circulation coins.
- Special edition circulation coins pursuant to Section 13 of the Norges Bank Act, which is the general legal basis for issuing coins..
Gold and silver jubilee and commemorative coins differ from other Norwegian coins in terms of both design and shape. These coins are nevertheless legal tender like other Norwegian coins. When such coins are issued, it may be decided that they are to be put into circulation at a premium above their nominal value. The difference between the face value and the premium may then be used for the common good.
Special edition circulation coins have been issued by Norges Bank on several occasions since 1975. These have had identical technical specifications and the same nominal value as the equivalent ordinary circulation coin, while the design may differ on one or both sides.
Commemorative coins issued by Norges Bank:
- Hans Nielsen Hauge. Special edition 20-krone circulation coin (2021)
- Gustav Vigeland. Special edition 20-krone circulation coin (2019)
- 150th anniversary of the Norwegian trekking association, 20-krone commemorative coin 2018
- The first Sami congress. Special edition 20-krone coin (2017)
- Norges Bank. Special edition 20-krone coin (2016)
- Supreme Court Bicentenary. Special edition 20-krone coin (2015)
- Bicentenary of the Norwegian Constitution. 200-krone silver coin (2014)
- Bicentenary of the Norwegian Constitution. Special edition 20-krone coin (2014)
- Norges Bank marks 100th anniversary of universal suffrage (2013)
- The 75th birthdays of the King and Queen (2012)
- University bicentenary. Special edition 10-krone coin (2011)
- Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports (NIF). Special edition 200-krone silver coin (2011)
- Skiing in Norway. Limited edition 200-krone silver coin (2011)
- 200th anniversary of the birth of Ole Bull 10-krone coin 2010
- 150th anniversary of the birth of Knut Hamsun silver coin 2009
- 200th anniversary of the birth of Henrik Wergeland silver 200-krone coin 2008
- 200th anniversary of the birth of Henrik Wergeland, 10-krone coin 2008
- Henrik Ibsen. 20-krone 2006
- The Norwegian railway, 20-krone commemorative coin 2004
- Centennial coins commemorating the dissolution of the union of Norway and Sweden 1905-2005