Central Bank Independence. Lessons from History
The Nicolai Rygg virtual panel debate was held on 8 April 2021, 17:00-18:30. The whole debate is now available for streaming at www.norges-bank.no/ryggpanel2021.
- Stefano Ugolini, University of Toulouse: "The (Pre)History of Central Bank Independence" (presentation) (based on Ugolini’s book The Evolution of Central Banking: Theory and History)
- Barry Eichengreen, University of California Berkeley: "The Interwar Period as the Crucible of Central Banking" (presentation)
- Harold James, Princeton University: "Central Bank Independence and Price Stability" (presentation)
- Andrew G. Haldane, Bank of England: "Central Bank Independence – What We Know and What We Don’t" (presentation)
- Virtual debate. Moderator: Ida Wolden Bache, Deputy Governor, Norges Bank
Presenters have also contributed accompanying blog posts to Norges Bank's blog Bankplassen.