Norges Bank safeguards financial stability by:
- Ensuring that Norges Bank’s settlement system and the supply of notes and coins function in a reliable and efficient manner.
- Setting requirements for system owners through its role as interbank system licensing and oversight authority.
- Issuing opinions on rules and regulations that may be of importance to the stability of the financial system, including financial institutions. Unless publication is disallowed or postponed for business secrecy or confidentiality reasons, opinions are normally published on the Bank’s website from the date the letters are sent.
- Providing information by publishing the reports Financial Stability, Financial Infrastructure Report and Monetary Policy Report with financial stability assessment and via speeches and presentations.
- Norges Bank draws up a decision basis and provides advice to the Ministry of Finance regarding the level of the countercyclical capital buffer four times a year. The decision basis is published in Norges Bank's Monetary Policy Report with financial stability assessment.
- Having an observer on the board of Finanstilsynet (Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway). Finanstilsynet oversees financial institutions (solvency, risk, management and control) and administers a large number of regulations. It can apply measures directed at individual institutions.