Regulations for exchange of withdrawn notes and coins
Norges Bank may decide that banknotes and coins shall be withdrawn from circulation (cf Section 15 of the Norges Bank Act). The decision is announced in the Norsk Lovtidend (Norwegian Legal Gazette) and major national newspapers in Norway.
Following the announcement, the notes and coins continue to be legal tender and may be used in the normal manner for one year. After this period, Norges Bank is obliged to redeem the notes and coins for an additional ten years.
You should contact Norges Bank or your local bank in Norway if you wish to exchange withdrawn notes and coins for legal tender during the 10-year period. This currently applies to:
- 50-øre coins issued in the period 1996-2011
- Series VII 50-krone note
- Series VII 100-krone note
- Series VII 200-krone note
- Series VII 500-krone note
- Series VII 1000-krone note
Even though it has been more than eleven years (1 + 10) since the announcement of the withdrawal, Norges Bank will continue to redeem the following withdrawn notes and coins:
- Banknote series IV (1948-76)
- Banknote series V (1962-89)
- Banknote series VI (1977-99)
- 5-krone coins (1963-97) and 10-krone coins (1983-91)
If you wish to exchange withdrawn banknotes or coins, please read the exchange guidelines. Norges Bank exchanges banknotes and coins at face value. Older denominations may have collector's value. A coin dealer will be able to advise you.