Employment | Education | Fields of interest | Publications | Working papers | Presentations | Teaching | Visits | Personal | Professional service | Reference
||Senior researcher, Finance Research department, Norges Bank
||Senior researcher, Macro Research department, Norges Bank
||Professor II, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
|Senior economist, Market Operation department, Norges Bank
||Acting director of research, Macro Research department, Norges Bank
||Acting head of research, Macro group, Research department, Norges Bank
||Researcher, Research department, Norges Bank
||Visiting research fellow, Stockholm Institute for Financial Research
||Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of Oslo
||PhD in Economics, Norwegian School of Management (BI). Advisor: Prof. Steinar Holden, University of Oslo
||MSc in Finance & Economics, Norwegian School of Management (BI)
||Master of Management (Siviløkonom), Norwegian School of Management (BI)
Fields of interest
- Primary: International Finance, Market Microstructure
- Secondary: Macroeconomics, Monetary policy
- "The market micorstructure approach to foreign exchange: Looking back and looking forward",
with Michael R. King and Carol L. Osler. Forthcoming in Journal of International Money and Finance.
- "`Large' vs. `Small' Players: A Closer Look at the Dynamics of Speculative Attacks",
with Geir Bjønnes, Steinar Holden and Haakon Solheim. Forthcoming in Scandinavian Journal of Economics. NB WP (2005/13).
- "Flows of the Pacific: Asian foreign exchange markets through tranquility and turbulence"
with Hans Jørgen Tranvåg. Pacificic Economic Review, vol 17, issue 3 (August 2012), pp. 434-466.
- "Foreign exchange market structure, players and evolution"
(with Michael R. King and Carol L. Osler). In James, Marsh and Sarno (eds.), Handbook of Exchange Rates, Wiley, 2012. NB WP (2011/10)
- "Micro Approaches to Foreign Exchange Determination"
(with Martin D.D. Evans) In James, Marsh and Sarno (eds.), Handbook of Exchange Rates, Wiley, 2012. NB WP (2011/05)
- "The $4 trillion question: what explains FX growth since the 2007 survey?"
(with Michael King). BIS Quaterly Review (December 2010). Link to BIS
- "Exchange Rate Forecasting, Order Flow and Macroeconomic Information"
(with Lucio Sarno and Elvira Sojli), Journal of International Economics, vol. 80, issue 1 (January 2010), pp. 72-88.
- "Does the law of one price hold in international financial markets? Evidence from tick data",
(with Farooq Akram and Lucio Sarno). Journal of Banking and Finance, vol. 33, issue 10, pp. 1741-1754.
- "Arbitrage in the Foreign Exchange Market: Turning on the Microscope"
(with Q. Farooq Akram and Lucio Sarno), Journal of International Economics, vol. 76, (November 2008), pp. 237-253.
- "Exchange Rate Volatility and the Mixture of Distribution Hypothesis"
(with Luc Bauwens and Genaro Sucarrat), Empirical Economics, (October 2005), pp. 1-23.
- "Liquidity Provision in the Overnight Foreign Exchange Market"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes and Haakon O.Aa. Solheim), Journal of International Money and Finance, vol. 24, issue 2 (March 2005), pp. 177-198.
- "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in the Foreign Exchange Market"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes), Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 75, issue 3 (March 2005), pp. 571-605.
- "Volume and volatility in the FX market: Does it matter who you are?"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes and Haakon O.Aa. Solheim), in Paul De Grauwe (ed.), Exchange Rate Economics: Where do we Stand?, MIT Press, 2005.
- "New Electronic Trading Systems in the Foreign Exchange Market."
in New Economy Handbook (Derek C. Jones, ed.), Academic Press, 2003.
- "Analysis of spreads in the Dollar/Euro and Deutsche Mark/Dollar foreign exchange markets."
(with Charles Goodhart, Ryan Love and Richard Payne), Economic Policy, vol. 17, issue 35 (October 2002), pp. 536-552.
- "Algorithmic Trading and FX Market Liquidity"
(with Michael King), in CFA Magazine, May-June 2011, p. 15-17.
- "Order flow analysis of exchange rates"
(with Elvira Sojli), in NB Economic Bulletin, no. 3 (2006)
Norwegian version (Penger og Kreditt, no. 2, 2006)
- "The Tobin tax: Perspectives from microstructure finance" (in Norwegian)
(with Dag Henning Jacobsen), in Økonomisk Forum, no. 5 (2005)
- "Electronic FX Trading -- influencing dealer behaviour?"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes), in e-FOREX, (July 2004).
- "The Role of Foreign Speculators in Speculative Attacks: The Case of 1998."
(with Geir H. Bjønnes and Haakon O.Aa. Solheim), in Recent Developments on Exchange Rates (Sandrine Lardic and Valérie Mignon, eds.), Palgrave, 2004.
- "What can financial economics teach us about exchange rates?"
in Explaining movements in the Norwegian exchange rate (Øyvind Eitrheim and Kristin Gulbrandsen, eds.), Occasional Papers, no. 32, Norges Bank, 2004.
Norwegian version (Occasional Papers, no. 31, 2003)
- "Sand in the machinery or in the eyes of the Tobin-tax proponents?" (in Norwegian)
(with Dag Henning Jacobsen), in Vill valuta. en debattbok om tobinskatten, (Nina Drange and Linn Stalsberg, eds.), ATTAC Norway, 2002.
- Trading in Foreign Exchange Markets: Four Essays on the Market Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets,
Series of Ph.D. Dissertations, no. 2, Norwegian School of Management BI, 2001.
- "Carry Trades, Order Flow and the Forward Bias Puzzle"
(with Francis Breedon and Paolo Vitale), NB WP (2010/26); CEPR DP 7791.
- "Asymmetric Information in the Foreign Exchange Interdealer Market"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes and Carol Osler), Norges Bank Working Paper 2008/25.
- "The Volume-Volatility relation and the influence by different players in the FX market"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes, and Haakon O. Aa. Solheim), November 2004.
- "U.S. Exchange Rates and Currency Flows",
Working Paper 4, Stockholm Institute for Financial Research, 2001.
- "Customer Trading and Information in Foreign Exchange Market"
(with Geir H. Bjønnes), Memorandum 30/2000, Department of Economics, University of Oslo.
- "Private or Public Information in the Foreign Exchange Markets? An Empirical Analysis",
Memorandum 14/2000, Department of Economics, University of Oslo
- Conferences and workshops:
EMG Workshop on Microstructure of Financial Markets (2010, 2012); Banca d'Italia Workshop on FX (2011); European Finance Association (EFA) Meeting (2011, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2002, 2000); Annual Central Bank Conference on the Microstructure of Financial Markets (2011 NB/UiS, 2010 Fed NY, 2007 MNB, 2006 BoC); European Economic Association (EEA) Meeting (2011, 2007, 2006, 2001, 2000); CREATES Symposium Market Microstructure (2010); American Economic Association meeting (2009); IMF-JIE Conference on International Macro-Finance (2008); INFINITI Conference on International Finance (2008); FX Microstructure workshop/summer school, Aix-en-Provence (2007, 2005); Riksbank Workshop on exchange rate determination (2006); High Frequency Econometrics Workshop, Warwick (2006, 2005); Econometric Society World Congress (2005); International Conference on Macroeconomic Analysis and International Finance, Crete (2005, 2004, 2002); LSE/FMG Finance Conference (2003); SIFR Workshop on FX Microstructure (2003); International Economic Association World Congress (2002); Spring Meeting of Young Economists (SMYE) (2002, 2001); CESifo Venice Summer Institute (2002); Econometric Society European Meeting (ESEM) (1999).
ECB (2012); U of Essex (2012); Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) (2012, 2007, 2006); Brandeis U (2010); Econometric Institute, Erasmus University Rotterdam (2009); U of Stavanger (2009); U of Tromsø (2009); Cass Buas. School (2009); Fudan U (2008, 2007); U of Copenhagen (2006); Queen's U. Belfast (2005); Stockholm School of Economics (2001, 1999); U of Oslo (2006, 2000, 1999); Norwegian School of Economics and Business Adminstration (NHH) (2001); Norwegian School of Management (BI) (2001, 1999); Statistics Norway (2003, 2001); Norges Bank (2007, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2001); Sveriges Riksbank (2005, 2002, 2001); SIFR (2004, 2003, 2002)
- Lectures on Financial econometrics. NTNU (2006-2012)
- Lectures on FX microstructure. Norges Bank (2005, 2007), Norwegian School of Management (BI) (2001, 2003)
- Mini-course on Behavioral economics. Norwegian Economic Association (2003)
- Finance theory (graduate course). University of Oslo (1999, 2001)
- Undergraduate macroeconomics (level 1). University of Oslo (2000), Norwegian School of Management (BI) (1997)
- Undergraduate macroeconomics (level 2). University of Oslo (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)
- Undergraduate microeconomics, Norwegian School of Management (BI) (1996)
- Environmental economics, Norwegian School of Management (BI) (1994)
- Georgetown University. October 2012.
- Cass Business School. December 2010, December 2011.
- Fudan University. December 2007, September 2008
- Tanaka Business school, November 2007
- Sveriges Riksbank (Central bank of Sweden). April 2004, April 2005
- Swedish Institute for Financial Research (SIFR). November 2003, November 2004
- Institute for International Economic Studies (IIES), Stockholm University. April - June 1997, August - December 1998
- Research department, Norges Bank (Central bank of Norway). September - December 1997
- Born January 6th 1968
- Nationality: Norwegian
- Home address: Haråsveien 2L, 0283 Oslo
- Cell phone: (Int +47) 92 60 06 94